Home Blog Page 3

Columbine survivor died of heroin overdose

0

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Eubanks, who was found dead last month during a welfare check after he didn't answer his phone, was 37.Eubanks' death has been "ruled an accidental heroin overdose," Routt County, Colorado, Coroner Robert Ryg, told CNN Thursday."I'm very sad about it myself," Ryg said. "We were hoping for something else, heart attack or something." Eubanks, a survivor of the 1999 Columbine massacre, struggled with opioid addiction after the shooting and later became a public speaker discussing the issues of substance abuse in the country, according to his website.From his Twitter account, it appears he last spoke at the 2019 Connecticut Opioid and Prescription Drug Prevention Conference on May 2.Eubanks "lost the battle with the very disease he fought so hard to help others face," his family said last month in a statement, according to CNN affiliate KMGH. "Helping to build a community of support is what meant the most to Austin, and we plan to continue his work."

Opioids 'took the emotion away,' Eubanks said

Eubanks was 17 at the time of the Columbine shooting, KMGH said.He was in the library with his friends, trying to decide whether they were going to go fishing or play golf after school, when they heard the sound of gunshots."A teacher ran through the same doors that we just entered into the library, yelling at everybody to get under the tables, that somebody had a gun, and I remember just being in shock," Eubanks told CNN last year.Eubanks, his best friend and a couple of other students hid under the same table. About 10 minutes later, the shooters entered the library and methodically fired under each table, EubankRead More – Source

CNN

Two London teens killed 12 minutes apart in separate stabbing and shooting

0

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Two teenagers were killed in London this evening (Picture: LNP)

Two teenagers were killed in London this evening (Picture: LNP)

A teenager was shot in a London car park today just 12 minutes after a man was stabbed to death.

Emergency services were first called to reports of a stabbing on Deeside Road in Wandsworth, south-west London, at 4.42pm this evening.

They found a man, believed to be in his late teens, in a critical condition.

Despite the efforts of paramedics, he died at the scene.

Just 12 minutes later, officers were called to the scene of a shooting on Hartville Road, Plumstead, south-east London.

?? Licensed to London News Pictures. 14/06/2019. Plumstead,UK. Police investigating a fatal shooting in Plumstead, South East London tonight as a teenager has died at the scene. Photo credit: Grant Falvey/LNP

A teenager was shot on Hartville Road, Plumstead (Picture: London News Pictures Ltd)

? Licensed to London News Pictures. 14/06/2019. Plumstead,UK. Police investigating a fatal shooting in Plumstead, South East London tonight as a teenager has died at the scene. Photo credit: Grant Falvey/LNP

He died at the scene (Picture: London News Pictures Ltd)

Armed police, local officers, the London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance all attended, but the victim died a short while later.

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Both of the victims have not yet been formally identified by police.

thumbnail for post ID 9967078Dad of girl 'excluded' for ear piercing that 'stops migraines' glues himself to school

There have been no arrests made in connection to the stabbing, while three men and a woman have been detained on suspicion of murdering the second victim.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Met Police are appealing for witnesses in both of the incidents.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: I am sickened to hear that two young lives have been ended within minutes of each other in Wandsworth and Greenwich.

? Licensed to London News Pictures. 14/06/2019. Plumstead,UK. Police investigating a fatal shooting in Plumstead, South East London tonight as a teenager has died at the scene. Photo credit: Grant Falvey/LNP

Both victims are yet to be identified (Picture: London News Pictures Ltd)

Read More – Source

Bradley Cooper Is in Talks for Guillermo del Toros Nightmare Alley

0

While we were busy obsessively decoding Bradley Coopers breakup, the Star Is Born director and star was lining up a major new project. Cooper is apparently in early talks to join Guillermo del Toros next film—an adaptation of William Lindsay Greshams 1946 con man classic Nightmare Alley.

Per Variety, Cooper has only been floated an offer for the moment, but is seen as a likely frontrunner to take the lead role of Stan Carlisle after Leonardo DiCaprio passed. Del Toro is directing from a script co-written with Kim Morgan for Fox Searchlight—the same studio behind del Toros Oscar-winner The Shape of Water.

The story—which itself was adapted previously in 1947, with Tyrone Power and Joan Blondell—follows Stan Carlisle, a con man who teams up with a female psychiatrist for a mentalist act, but himself winds up on the receiving end of her manipulation. Based more on the original 1946 novel than its adaptation, dRead More – Source

J.K. Simmons Threatens to Blow Up Veronica Mars in Hulus Full Revival Trailer

0

Its been fifteen years, three seasons and one Kickstarter-ed movie, but Veronica Mars is finally blowing up again. On Friday, Hulu dropped the latest official trailer for its fourth season limited series revival, as Neptune calls the fan-favorite P.I. home with an explosive new threat to Spring Break as we know it.

The revival sees Kristen Bells Mars “drawn into an epic eight-episode mystery that pits the enclaves wealthy elites, who would rather put an end to the month-long bacchanalia, against a working class that relies on the cash influx that comes with being the West Coasts answer to Daytona Beach,” according to its official description.

J.K. Simmons brings his natural menace as ex-convict Clyde Prickett, fixer to Neptune real estate developer Big Dick Casablancas (David Starzyk) and potentially the culprit behind a rash of bombings in sunny Neptune. Apart from the returning cast of Bell, Enrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen, Max Greenfield and Daran Norris, the new season also features newcomers Dawnn Lewis, Patton Oswalt, Clifton Collins Jr.Read More – Source

One-in-five suffers mental health condition in conflict zones: new UN report

0

More than one-in-five people living in conflict-affected areas suffers from a mental illness, according to a new UN-backed report, prompting the World Health Organization (WHO) to call for increased, sustained investment in mental health services in those zones.

Around 22 per cent of those affected, suffer depression, anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder, according to an analysis of 129 studies published in The Lancet – a United Kingdom-based peer-reviewed medical journal.

“The new estimates, together with already available practical tools for helping people with mental health conditions in emergencies, add yet more weight to the argument for immediate and sustained investment, so that mental and psychosocial support is made available to all people in need living through conflict and its aftermath,” said study author Mark van Ommeren, who works in WHOs Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse.

The study also shows that about nine per cent of conflict-affected populations have a moderate to severe mental health condition; substantially higher than the global estimate for these mental health conditions in the general population.

“Depression and anxiety appeared to increase with age in conflict settings, and depression was more common among women than men”, according to the study.

The revised estimates use data from 39 countries published between 1980 and August 2017, categorized cases as mild, moderate or severe. Natural disasters and public health emergencies, such as recent Ebola virus outbreaks in Africa, were not included.

The findings suggested that past studies underestimated the burden of mental health conditions in conflict-affected areas,

showing increased rates of severe, moderate and mild mental health issues, with the latter being the most prevalent.

“I am confident that our study provides the most accurate estimates available today of the prevalence of mental health conditions in areas of conflict”, said lead author of the study Fiona Charlson of the University of Queensland, Australia and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, in the United States.

In 2016, there were 53 ongoing conflicts in 37 countries, meaning that 12 per cent of the worlds population was living in an active conflict zone – an all-time high. Moreover, the fact that nearly 69 million people globally have been forcibly displaced by violence and conflict, makes it the highest global number since the Second World War.

“Despite their tragic consequences, when the political will exists, emergencies can be catalysts for building quality, sustainable mental health services that continue to help people in the long-term”, concluded the WHO author.

In conflict situations and other humanitarian emergencies, WHO provides support by:

  • Supporting coordination and assessing the mental health needs of populations affected.
  • Determining the existing support that is available on the ground and what more is needed.
  • Helping to provide support capacity, either through training or bringing in additional resources.

Read from source

“In Limbo” – Poor identification of Missing Leaves Bereaved Families of Mediterranean Migrants

0

Berlin – A new briefing from IOMs Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) shows that thousands of people lost in the Central Mediterranean crossing have not been identified.

IOMs Missing Migrants Project database has recorded over 15,000 fatalities in the Central Mediterranean route between North Africa and Italy since 2014. Yet remains of fewer than 5,000 of those who lost in the dangerous sea crossing – fewer than 1 in 3 – have been recorded as recovered.

Moreover, even among those bodies that have been found, net identification rates in Italy and Malta range around 22 per cent between 1990 and 2013.

By comparison, the Pima County (Arizona) Office of the Medical Examiner – one of the best practices identified in the report – identified 62 per cent of all migrant bodies found between the years 1981 and 2018 in the desert north of Mexico.

This new IOM report points to both the lack of outreach by the Italian authorities and to the absence of a visible and centralized entity to provide support, feedback and transparency for families reporting missing persons as two reasons behind the poor identification rates.

Among the few successful identifications of migrant bodies, well over half of those rendered in Italy are not done forensically. Rather, authorities rely on “visual” identification, usually by families viewing a corpse or examining photographs of the remains. This technique is prone to producing false identifications, while limiting identification to cases in which family members are available to be near sites of shipwrecks in Italy.

For three high-profile shipwrecks, the Italian Special Commissioner for Missing Persons has mobilized a high-quality forensic operation. Even in these limited cases, where comprehensive forensic data have been collected from migrant bodies, few identifications have been made.

Despite a dedicated state-of-the-art forensic operation for the 3 October 2013 shipwreck, in which at least 366 people lost their lives, net scientific identification rates remain at only 8.5 per cent. When surviving family members provided ante-mortem data samples, identification was far more successful: 58.5 per cent of these cases were identified.

The crisis of migrant deaths in the Mediterranean has prompted media attention on the shocking reality of shipwrecks and the bodies they produce, but relatively little focus on the impacts on the families of the dead who are awaiting news of their loved ones. These families are also the victims of the humanitarian disaster ongoing in the Central Mediterranean.

“Thousands of families of missing migrants remain in limbo,” said Frank Laczko, Director of IOMs Global Migration Data Analysis Centre. “They face the disappearance of a loved one that may never be acknowledged or confirmed.”

For more information, please contact Julia Black at IOMs Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC), Tel: +49 30 278 778 27, Email: [email protected]

Read from source

Awareness Campaign Seeks to Protect Venezuelan Migrants from Trafficking and Smuggling Networks

0

Bogotá – #TuVidaCambia (Your Life Changes) awareness raising campaign has been launched in Colombia to protect Venezuelan migrants and refugees from falling prey to trafficking and smuggling networks. This is a common danger Venezuelans face as they migrate through Colombia, as they seek places to settle, or while in transit to other South American destinations, including like Chile, Ecuador and Perú.

Implemented by the International Organization for Migration (IOM), with financial support from the US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), this new campaign is based on a song–#TuVidaCambia—which is, itself, an adaptation of a Venezuelan folk song, Sentir Zuliano*.

The song easily transmits prevention messages during the long and exhausting journeys of refugees and migrants crossing the country who are at risk of becoming victims of human trafficking given their significant levels of vulnerability.

Ana Eugenia Durán Salvatierra, IOM Chief of Mission in Colombia explained: “The new version of the song is performed by the band Vos y yo, formed by Venezuelan migrants residing in Colombia.”

She added: “The adapted lyric and other components of the campaign, including live presentations and printed and digital materials with prevention messages, support our goal to provide relevant information to raise awareness among refugees and migrants on the dangers of being deceived and compelled to work under forced labour conditions, becoming victims of sexual exploitation or mendicity, among other forms of trafficking in persons crimes.”

Vos y yo, the band that recorded the track, also travelled between Cúcuta, Colombia, the city on the border with Venezuela, and Bogotá, performing before over 1,000 people in some 20 live shows last week.

Venezuelan refugees and migrants received additional messages to prevent them from falling into human trafficking networks. This crime violates human rights and pursues economic or other benefits by exploiting people, both in and outside Colombia.

As of June 2019, over four million Venezuelans have left their country, with neighboring Colombia thus far their main destination, according to the Coordination Platform for Venezuelan Refugees and Migrants (R4V). As reported by the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, by 30th April 2019 nearly 1.3 million Venezuelans remain in Colombia.

Ministry of Interior data reveal that between 2013 and 2018, there were 422 cases registered as victims of trafficking in persons in Colombia. Women accounted for 84 per cent of victims and sexual exploitation was the most frequent modality (60%), followed by forced labour (25%). Out of such cases, 58 per cent of the victims were 18 to 30 years of age.

Since the mid 1990s, IOM together with its global partners has provided protection and assistance to nearly 100,000 men, women and children victims of human trafficking for the purpose of sexual and labour exploitation, slavery and other similar practices, such as domestic servitude or organ removal.

Campaign messages may be disseminated and replicated among refugee and migrant communities, with the hashtag #TuVidaCambia.

  • Norberto Pirela and Joseito Rodríguez composed the original song Sentir Zuliano.

For further information please contact IOM Colombia: Andrea López Pinilla, Email: [email protected], or Karen Mora, Tel: 57)1 639 7777, Email: [email protected]

Source

Infosys to announce Q1 earnings on July 12

0

India's second largest software services firm Infosys will announce its financial results for April-June quarter on July 12, according to a BSE filing.

"A meeting of the Board of Directors of the company will be held…on Thursday and Friday, July 11 and 12, 2019 to consider the audited consolidated financial results of the company and its subsidiaries as per Indian Accounting Standards (INDAS) for the quarter ending June 30, 2019…," Infosys said in the filing Friday.

It added that the financial results will be presented to the board of directors on July 12 for their approval.

According to investor calendar available on the company's website, India's largest IT company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is slated to announce its June quarter nRead More – Source

London Metal Exchange introduces alcohol ban on trading floor

0

The London Metal Exchange (LME) has introduced an alcohol ban on its trading floor in the latest move to overhaul its workplace culture.
Staff working on the trading floor, or the “Ring”, will be banned from being under the influence of alcohol while at work. Traders set global prices for metals at the 142-year-old exchange.
Read more: London Metal Exchange boss steps down

The move comes after the exchange introduced a code of conduct in April to crack down on harassment and “threatening, humiliating or disruptive behaviour”.
“The LME has broad powers under its Rulebook to ensure fit and proper behaviour on the Ring and Ring Dealing, and Members have policies and procedures in place regarding the behaviour of their staff while conducting business on the Ring,” a spokesperson for the exchange said.
“The LME appreciates the high standards upheld by its Members, and has formalised the general position that Ring-based personnel should not consume any alcohol prior to conducting business.”Read More

Matt Hancock pulls out of Tory leadership race

0

LONDON — The Conservative leadership race lost another contender Friday, as Health Secretary Matt Hancock withdrew, saying the party is looking for a candidate for the “unique circumstances” of Brexit.

Six candidates to be Tory leader and the next U.K. prime minister remain in the contest.

Hancock, who won just 20 votes in the first round of voting among MPs on Thursday, said he would now speak to the remaining contenders and consider which one to back. Boris Johnson took 114 votes in the secret ballot of 313 Conservative MPs, well ahead of his nearest rivals Jeremy Hunt with 43 and Michael Gove with 37.

Hancock is an ex-Remainer who advocates renegotiating aspects of Theresa Mays Brexit deal, but has warneRead More – Source

1234...2,112Page 3 of 2,112